I’m rebuilding my main RGB pixel power and data distribution box, leaving room for expansion for next year.
I try to run most of the lights from a central controller box underneath the mega tree. I created a box last year that worked great, but did not have room to expand so I rebuilt it this year using some lessons learned form last year. I also got some new cable glands to hold onto the wires protruding from the box. They don’t make it water tight, but they do hold onto the wires well so they won’t get pulled away from the controller if I happen to accidentally trip over the wires.
I also used a different layout for the internal components. I left room for expansion as I’m sure I’ll add more pixels next year and will need more power supplies. All electronics are mounted to a 1/2″ piece of MDF. The board can not be removed once the wires are attached, but provides a solid base for everything and adds a little weight to the box.
I mounted the controller and expansion board to a piece of PVC “wood” left over from the P10 sign build and oriented that vertically to save some room. It makes it a little hard to make connections, but since that won’t happen a lot, I felt the tradeoff was worth it in space saved. The box is tall enough to add a second controller on top if needed.
I used fuse blocks for power injection distribution for safety. Last year, I totally bypassed power distribution on the controller, but felt I could use it this year for props that don’t need power injection. It does make managing power among the four power supplies a little trickier, but given enough thought and planning, it can be done.
I’d still like to build a small cover for the box as I’m using trash bags and straps to secure it. A cover in the shape of a Snoopy house or Christmas present would hide the box and provide some protection from rain or snow.
Amazon Affiliate Links:
- M24 Cable Gland http://amzn.to/2AcU6VV
- Leviton 5278-C 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Flanged Inlet Receptacle, Straight Blade http://amzn.to/2BssdYe
- 8-way fuse block http://amzn.to/2juAIKd
- M3 steel nut http://amzn.to/2k5aX73
- M3 Flat Washers http://amzn.to/2k5cSsu
- M3 Hex 15mm Spacers http://amzn.to/2k6NGBO
- M3 Hex 6mm Spacers http://amzn.to/2AbhC5Q
- M3 x 1/4” screw http://amzn.to/2Ait4uz
- MeanWell 12V Power Supply http://amzn.to/2kaWnLC
- Raspberry Pi 3 (board only) http://amzn.to/2jtVXvt
- Raspberry Pi 3 (full starter kit) http://amzn.to/2Ad7oli