HAPPY THANKSGIVING! It took much longer than anticipated to get everything set up, but it’s done! Almost showtime!
SetUp day is when I set aside time to actually set the display up for the season. Ideally, I’d have all fabrication done and just need to set everything up. I don’t believe I’ve EVER had an ideal situation – I’m always fabricating something. So not ideal, but it just adds to the time required to get everything ready.
I started off fixing the power injection problem I had last year on the mega tree because I did it wrong. You should transfer data and GROUND (or negative) between strings. I only transferred data which allowed stray voltage to affect the lights. Turning brightness down to 30% solved most of the flickering problems, but it did not eliminate them. So I’m putting new ends on each of the twelve strings so they can be used interchangeably and I’ll wire them up as needed.
The first prop to set up is the lights along the back fence. The fence faces a street so I have a string of 175 pixels mounted to EMT. I tie-wrapped each node to the EMT. I highly suggest getting a tie-wrap tool for stuff like this. It makes tightening and cutting the excess much easier.
The new window outlines needed some fabrication and my solution was to use rebar for the cross pieces. The vertical Boscoyo strips stay straight by themselves, but the horizontal strips need support. I tie-wrapped each horizontal node to rebar using an alternating pattern of bottom two holes and top two holes in the strip. That seems to keep the pixels straight. I used masonry bits to drill holes in brick for the eyelet standoffs and the windows are now outlined.
The mega tree was fairly easy to set up this year since it didn’t require any fabrication. I used the ASAP pole design from last year and was able to string the tree while it was horizontal. Once the strings were attached, the tree was pushed upright. I connected the ends (bottom) of each string to an 8-foot PVC ring with Ball Bungees and staked the ring to the ground at several points around the ring. This adds support (once the mast was cranked up) and does not need guy wires. Granted, the tree is less than 15-feet tall, but a nice gust of wind will topple it without the support from the stakes.
It took several hours to fix all the electronic issues I had, but some of that was anticipated due to the new stuff. I had planned on filming that part, but I quickly realized it was going to be a longer process that I thought. Reconfiguring the controller was the easy part. Finding that I had not connected pigtails to the controller or not having wire connected well took some time. Then there was the large 288-pixel wreath with a bad ground that took and extra day to resolve.
All in all, it was fun setting up the display. A few challenges to overcome, but I’m ready for showtime!
Good luck with your displays and Happy Thanksgiving (if that’s something you celebrate where you are)!
Amazon Affiliate Links (for this video):
- 2 Pin Quick Disconnect http://amzn.to/2k6gPNC
- 14ga in-wall-speaker wire http://amzn.to/2jwcJtU
- Neutrik etherCON RJ-45 Feedthrough Chassis Connector http://amzn.to/2iZkPf8
- Ball Bungee, 6-Inch http://amzn.to/2jupoxx
- M24 Cable Gland http://amzn.to/2AcU6VV
- Raspberry Pi 3 (board only) http://amzn.to/2jtVXvt
- Raspberry Pi 3 (full starter kit) http://amzn.to/2Ad7oli
- MeanWell 12V Power Supply http://amzn.to/2kaWnLC